- A plastic pantone: All of the colors LEGO has produced over the years.
- We found this really weird page from the IDSA (Industrial Designers Dociety of America) supposedly explaining the product design process. To us it seems wildly out of step with current best practices and the realities of product development in the 21st century (no mention or indication of software layer, for instance).
- Visualizing YOLO.
- A mesmerizing video of an automated production line - from injection molding to final assembly, all with robotics.
- Early adopters of the "hoverboard" craze are getting burned, so to speak. More and more cases of the devices bursting into flames have led Amazon to suspend sales of the devices.
- Dow and DuPont are getting together - being an industrial giant seems to pale in comparison to the returns enabled by the digital realm and the rise of China's industrial exports.
- Magic Leap, the augmented reality startup just raised $ 827 million to put 3D images into your eye space. So- pop up ads are about to get much, much worse.
- What goes into taking consistently excellent photos for an e-commerce company like Wayfair.
- The effects of color on brand perception - it's a bit more complicated and connected than the article gets at, but it's a helpful jumping off point for considering the subconscious impacts of design choices.
More next week.